Another year has gone and we are looking ahead to 2020. If you think about it, a decade has passed and we are at the start of a new decade. Where did the last 10 years go? As people age, they tend to think about their future and what it will look like. If you are over 65 years old, what will life look like for you in another 10 years? Will you still be healthy? Will you be able to walk around like you do now? As independent as you are now? How about another 5 years after that? What will life look like for you?
No matter who you are or how good your health is right now, one day you will need some type of care. Often, we see an older couple where one spouse is more able bodied than the other. They try their best to take care of the other less mobile spouse when in reality they need help themselves.
There are options when you or your spouse get to the point of needing help doing everyday tasks:
- Hire help
- Move to an assisted living facility
- Move to a nursing home
- Renovate and modify your home to make it more user friendly to maintain independence
- Renovate your home and hire help
Most people do not want to leave their home and move into a facility. We have seen situations where people move out of their home because they could not navigate the stairs and were stuck living on the 1st floor. Or they become wheelchair bound and their house was no longer convenient for them to use for daily chores like cooking, laundry and bathing.
Before giving up your home, consider other ways we could help you to age in place. It is amazing how independent a person can become and how an unfriendly home can become friendly again when implementing modifications.
Here are some examples of equipment and home modifications we can install to help you stay at home as you age:
- Stair lift - A stair lift will safely take you up and down a flight of stairs inside or outside.
- Vertical platform lift - Will take you and your rollator, scooter or wheelchair and groceries from the ground up to any landing up to 14' high with the push of a button.
- Accessible shower - We can install a new zero threshold shower that you can roll into or step into without even having to lift your leg to make getting into and out of the shower safer and easier.
- Electric scooter - Helps you to get around inside and outside of your home. Lift chair - Provides a comfortable place to sit and rest that takes you from sitting to standing with the push of a button.
- Grab bars - Allows for stepping up and down in various places in your home by providing a stable bar to hold onto.
This is just the tip of the iceberg with ways we can help modify your home to be more user friendly and safer for you, your spouse or a loved one. If you were wondering what can be done to make your home more user friendly and safer, call Bell House Medical for a home assessment and we will discuss changes we can make to help you remain at home as you age.