Aging in place has been a trend among senior citizens for the past 5 years. Recent studies show that 87% of individuals 65+ want to stay in their current home as they age. This means their homes need to be remodeled to create a safer living environment for them to continue living there.
The room that quite possibly needs the most attention is the master bathroom. Did you know when a senior citizen falls, it occurs in the bathroom 80% of the time? In this blog, we’ll discuss how Bell House Medical can make your master bathroom safer so you can age in place.
When a senior citizen falls, there is a 50% chance they will fall again in the next 6 months. Once you make the decision to remain in your current home, do NOT procrastinate.
The longer you wait to make the necessary changes to your home, the greater the chance a severe fall will occur. Bell House Medical offers numerous solutions to help make your bathroom safe for the long-haul, such as:
- Grab Bars – Grab Bars are an easy way to add a sturdy surface to hold onto to help you sit, stand and balance safely.
- Accessible Showers – A zero-threshold entry shower allows you to step right in and out of your shower safely without lifting a leg.
- Walk-In Tubs – A walk-in tub allows you to take a relaxing bath without the dangers of climbing into and out of a regular bathtub.
- Hand-Held Showers – Hand-held shower heads make it easier for individuals to bathe themselves when used in conjunction with a shower chair or bench.
- Shower Wheelchairs – A shower wheelchair works best when used in a zero-threshold shower and will make showering much easier.
- Toilet Seats and Commodes – A 3-in-1 commode can be placed over your toilet to raise the seat height. A 3-in-1 commode can also be used by your bedside if walking to the bathroom is difficult or impossible.
Having all of these features installed in your bathroom will greatly reduce the chances of a life-threatening fall occurring. But when Bell House Medical remodels your bathroom, we don’t leave it looking medicinal… we will enhance the aesthetics and give it a spa-like feel.
If you’re making the decision to age in place, is your bathroom ready for the next 10, 15 or 20 years? If not, give us a call and we can implement features that will make your bathroom safe for years and years to come!