For senior citizens who have limited strength, mobility and balance, a grab bar can potentially be a lifesaver. They can be added throughout your home wherever they are needed to help gain stability. However, the most common place where grab bars are installed is in the bathroom, where nearly 80% of all senior citizen falls occur. The bathroom is where sitting, standing, bending over and maneuvering happens the most. When you couple that with wet, slippery bathroom floors, it creates a very dangerous environment.
In this blog, we'll discuss the pros and cons of horizontal, vertical and diagonal grab bar installations.
- It's a safe position for movements in the shower or tub
- Great for people in wheelchairs when entering a tub
- Hand is least likely to slip in this position
- Can cover an entire shower wall if necessary
- Can be tough on the wrists for people with arthritis
- Can be difficult to when getting up from a seated position, compared to an angled installation
- Ideal position for someone who needs help stepping over a tub or shower
- Easy to grip when sitting or standing
- Provides stability when sitting on a tub or shower bench
- Less bar to grab, making it challenging to move around in the shower
- You can't use leverage to push down when attempting to stand
- An ideal position for someone using a shower chair or bench
- Works for short and tall individuals. Perfect for couples who are both using a grab bar
- Puts less strain on wrists
- Only helps when facing one direction in the tub
The way your grab bar will be installed will depend on your mobility needs and capabilities around your home. A Bell House House Medical consultant can help you determine the best direction in which to have your grab bar installed.
Bell House Medical
If you've been instructed to have grab bars installed in your home, contact Bell House Medical and we'll come out and install the style of grab bar that you choose. We offer everything from generic stainless steel grab bars to designer grab bars that will blend into your home beautifully.